Stoneware jug was made between 1840-1870. This wheel-thrown vessel is ovoid and has a shaped spout and two attached handles. The color of the piece is salmon and appears quite dark, almost brown. Decorating the exterior of the jug is hand-stenciled foliage that is cobalt blue. Near the bottom, the number "5" is stenciled in blue. "H.N. WILES / DRY GOODS / GROCERIES & C. / RIPLEY, OHIO" is stenciled in blue in the center section.
Cite this Page:
Federal Glass Company (Columbus, Ohio), “Jug ,” Ohio History Center, accessed November 21, 2017, http://resources.ohiohistory.org/OhioHistoryCenter/items/show/495.