Ohio History Journal

  • 1
  • 2

86 Ohio Arch

86       Ohio Arch. and Hist. Society Publications.


one officer and myself went to New York on recruiting service. That

was in 1814. I remained in New York about two years. When we left

New York we marched with recruits to fill up the companies stationed

on the northern frontier. I had re-enlisted on the 23d of November,

1816, for five years. We marched to Sackett's Harbor, and I was there

assigned to Company D, Second Infantry. The other recruits were dis-

tributed at the different stations. I was stationed at Sackett's Harbor

something like seventeen years. We remained quietly at barracks all

this time, until the Black Hawk War broke out beyond Chicago. We

started in the month of July, 1832, and got back October 6, of the same

year. We had no battles in that campaign. There was nothing but hard

marching, etc. I was appointed an ordinance sergeant of the U. S. army

October 18, 1833, and was ordered to Boston, but finally exchanged with

the ordnance sergeant at Madison barracks. Colonel Kirby, paymaster,

and others arranged the matter for me. During the Florida War I was

in Sackett's Harbor in charge of all the property at that post. I was

there too during the Mexican War and got an order from General

Augur to enlist all the men that I could and send them to Syracuse. I

got from four to six every day, and sent them to Syracuse for Mexico.

I was a recruiting officer for General Augur. During the war of the Re-

bellion I was left alone in charge of the quartermaster's stores, medical

and other property at Madison Barracks, New York. I was discharged

December 31, 1866, by Secretary Stanton and came to this home. I have

had charge of a great many improvements in the home and was lodge

keeper at the Whitney Avenue gate for a number of years."

Sergeant Gaines was at the time of this interview an active

old man about five feet seven inches in height, of dark complex-

ion. He had bright grey eyes, white hair and strongly marked

features. He stood perfectly erect, and had a very soldierly bear-

ing. His mind was clear and his memory quite remarkable. He

described with great detail the incident of his early service. He

was the last survivor of the gallant defenders of Fort Stephenson.

He enlisted when in his thirtieth year and probably no man served

longer in the United States Army than he.




In 1880 there still lived in Petersburg, Va., a survivor of the

War of 1812, one of the Petersburg Volunteers, one member of

which, Brown, fought at Fort Stephenson. A letter from this

aged man, Mr. Reuben Clements, reads: