Ohio History Journal

  • 1
  •  
  • 2
  •  

SURVEY OF THE SEVEN RANGES

SURVEY OF THE SEVEN RANGES.

 

After the immigration into the Western Reserve of the ad-

vance columns of the Connecticut Land Company, it was several

years before the survey of the new Western Reserve Empire

was completed. The base lines of the survey were the western

boundary of Pennsylvania, as determined ten years before

(1786), and the parallel 41 latitude north was now (1796) run

for the first time and extending west from Pennsylvania 120

miles. From this base line, lines were run north and south, five

miles apart, and later cross lines, parallel to the base line, were

run, five miles apart, thus making twenty-four townships across,

east and west, and twelve, north and south, in the deepest place,

that is on the extreme east. Each township was therefore twenty-

five miles square. The townships, east and west, were numbered

as "ranges," and from the base line north as "towns." Cleveland,

for instance, was in Range 12, from the Pennsylvania line, and

town 7 from the base line. The southern line of the Reserve,

41 north latitude, is often confused, by writers, including many

historians, with the Geographer's Line which was 40 38' 02

latitude north, the gap between the two lines being approximately

twenty-five miles, and according to recent researches in govern-

ment archives by Mr. Albion M. Dyer, Curator of the Western

Reserve Historical Society, the famous Seven Ranges running

south from the Geographer's Line were not extended north until

1800 and 1801, when, under the direction of Rufus Putnam,

then surveyor general, they were continued to the southern line

of the Western Reserve, thus adding four townships to each

range. The Geographer's Line was extended west to the Ninth

range, where it met the Indian boundary line of the Greenville

Treaty, the line extending from Fort Laurens through Loramie's

Station to Fort Recovery.

We accompany this description with a cut made from a map

in possession of the Congressional Library, Washington, D. C.

(466)