Ohio History Journal

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

294 Ohio Arch

294       Ohio Arch. and Hist. Society Publications.

The Captain has given his native town and state wide and

honorable publicity. His book is a lively, modest, straightfor-

ward statement of his services in the World War, as full of

thrills as his daring exploits. It is written in attractive form

and excellent spirit and deserves a place in every American

library-especially those of Ohio, Captain Rickenbacker's na-

tive state.

In this connection it may be proper to say a number of

Captain Rickenbacker's trophies are already in the museum of

our Society, where they are viewed with special interest by


The other book is entitled, "The Big Show," by Elsie Janis,

also a native of Ohio and the city of Columbus. Miss Janis

did her part in entertaining our soldiers back of the battle line on

many of the fighting fronts.

Her book bears to the general public, in vivacious, breezy

style, an intimation of the cheerful message that she must have

carried to the soldiers, presented at times in the vernacular pecul-

iar to the rank and file, which is nevertheless expressive and

readily understood. It contains not only an account day by day

of her experience abroad, but some creditable verse composed by

herself and interspersed through the volume of 226 pages.




On June 10th, at the United States Barracks in Columbus,

an heroic soldier soul passed to its reward. In the Columbus

Evening Dispatch of June 19th, appears a letter from Franklin

Rubrecht, a Columbus attorney who was much interested in this

wounded youth and at whose home he was frequently welcomed.

In this letter Mr. Rubrecht gives the following brief account of

the military service, unwavering loyalty, patient fortitude and

triumphant death of Sergeant Stanley Nagorka:


*His given name was Stanislaus which he changed to Stanley. He

was wounded at St. Mihiel, September 14, 1918; was in Field Hospital

No. 25, Base Hospital No. 25, Base Hospital No. 8; then sailed from

Brest to the United States and was in General Hospital No. 2 and Depot

Hospital at Columbus (Ohio) Barracks where he died.