Ohio History Journal

Reviews, Notes and Comments 491

Reviews, Notes and Comments      491

a strong advocate of health inspection in the public

schools which was introduced in his administration.

In his twenty-seven years' service in Columbus he

became widely acquainted and his memory is cherished

for his kindly manner and brief but helpful addresses

on his visits to the various school rooms. Every pupil

in Columbus regarded Dr. Shawan as his friend and

felt free to speak to him when meeting him on the


On retiring from the superintendency of the Colum-

bus schools, Dr. Shawan and his wife resided in De-

Graff, Ohio. Later they moved to his farm, "The Mead-

ows," where he died. He is survived by three sons:

Dr. H. K. Shawan, surgeon, of Detroit, Michigan; R. F.

Shawan, of Columbus, Ohio, and J. A. Shawan, Jr., of

DeGraff. Mrs. Shawan was Miss Jennie K. Holmes,

prior to her marriage to Mr. Shawan, in 1881. She died

in 1925.

Dr. Shawan was a Methodist and a Mason. He was

a member of state and national educational associations

and a life-member of the Ohio State Archaeological and

Historical Society.



Professor G. Foucart, Director of the French Insti-

tute of Archaeology, at Cairo, Egypt, was one of the few

honored by being permitted to witness the official open-

ing of the marble sarcophagus of King Tut-Ankh-

Amen, near Luxor, Egypt, on February 12, 1924. He

made the translations of the inscriptions on the coffin

enclosing the mummy presented by Dr. Howell. Such

a coffin is usually called a mummy case, but Professor

Foucart calls this one a "sarcophagus," with the added

phrase, "properly so called."