The Sandusky culture had close ties with the lake region environment. This is clear at the Pearson village site along Green Creek in Sandusky County. That stockaded village, built on a sand knoll, was occupied around A.D. 1500. Hunting, collecting, and farming provided much food for the people at that site. Still, they clearly took advantage of the many fish that moved up the nearby Sandusky River to spawn in the spring.
The objects shown here are typical of these villagers. Some of their Parker Festooned ceramic vessels held up to 10 gallons. The creature engraved on the small stone pipe may have been a mythical being.